IMS Motorcycle Show -12/1/2017-12/3/2017

Share Your Ride Stories Here

Re: IMS Motorcycle Show -12/1/2017-12/3/2017

Postby deilenberger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:17 pm

mogu83 wrote:Scary Don, but your stating my sentiments exactly. I can't remember a year that I didn't go, even the year when they were closing down the Parkway behind me as I was going home, or the year it was in Philly, or the year it was in Valley Forge.
It has become a $100 day, and that much will buy me enough gas to get to the Colorado border.

So the bike show goes on the list with Laconia and Daytona, things that have changed for the worse. I still enjoy the MOA National (no matter where it is) and lately the Barber vintage days.

Of maybe it's just the curmudgeon coming out :wiser

Someone called me today (RDS.. from NJ Shore) wanting to go tomorrow, he said "Well, it's something to do.." he even offered to drive in (which is $$$ with parking..) and I still can't get excited about it. Sunday is usually a zoo, the merchants are worn out and it seems most of the customers are the street-stunter kind of "rider".. I did the one with the blizzard. I was manning the BMW-MOA booth with Brian Curry. We never looked out the windows. When we left around 8PM, there was 2' of snow on the streets and not a car or bus to be seen. There is no subway from Javitts to the train.. so we had to hoof it. Walked down the middle of the street (38th IRRC) since the sidewalks were even worse with drifting snow. It's the first time I was ever afraid of croaking due to exposure. High winds, no place open to duck into and warm up, and drifting rapidly falling snow. Made it to the train after about an hour of slogging. That was another time I said "never again.."

BTW - Nancy named me the Club Curmudgeon quite a few years ago. I have a lot of practice at it according to Nance.. is there room for two? Would the club survive? Inquiring minds want to know. :wings
Don Eilenberger (President NJ Shore BMW Riders - anyone want this job?)
MOA Ambassador (don't ask me.. I dunno..)
RA Director for NJ (hey - those RA jobs are begging for people..)
Official New Sweden Curmudgeon (appointed by Nancy G..)
Sometimes rider and general bon-vivant
deilenberger

Postby bmwpixie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:39 am

Harry shows some promise as a curmudgeon, but has a ways to go before I would consider him as an official second in the club. For now, it's all yours, Don.
Nancy Glindmyer * 2013 F800GT * Club member since 1981
bmwpixie

Postby bevans » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:43 am

Heres a fewImageImageImageImage
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -RWE :map1

Current Bikes: Too Many BMW's, and one Austrian Usurper :rider

Sold Bikes: Too Many
bevans

Postby Ron_Ces » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:41 am

NY cycle show review. I would say that the biggest surprise was that Triumph and Ducati were surprisingly absent. The show keeps shrinking, with small moto-related goody vendors (the interesting stuff) becoming almost an afterthought. Funny, that the waterproof shoe, sock and eyeglass cleaners keep multiplying. In year's past, I liked talking (and buying) from the small vendors. Companies like Lee Parks, Nick Plezick, Cycle-Gadgets, RAM Mount, etc. made the show. This year, even Backroads Magazine did not have a booth. Sad. This may be my last year. Now, when is Timmonium?
Ron
Aging Hacker :: Warranty Voider
I need to do more :rider and less :type

BMW R1150GS ADV
BMW R1150RT
Honda Pacific Coast (Nerd-Mobile)
Gone, but not forgotten-Suzuki TS-100, Suzuki RM125 (2), Yamaha Virago, Honda V45 Sabre (2), Yamaha Vision, BMW R1100RSL, Yamaha XT-600, KTM 300EX, Kymco Scooter
Ron_Ces

Postby w2ge » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:01 pm

From what I understand vendors hated NYC. Very expensive to show there...along with the ancillary costs: hotels, etc. and for attendees (IMHO) it’s an expensive PIA. I’ve said for years, have it in North Jersey, Meadowlands, etc.

Soooo much easier, cheaper to get there and the same for Vendors..

IMS had signed a contract with Javits, hopefully it’s over and they can look elsewhere.
Phil
2010 R1200RT
2016 Aprilia Caponord RALLY
iPhone7+>ZUMO 396 >SENA 10C (BT/VIDEO CAM)
w2ge

Postby mogu83 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 pm

w2ge wrote:

IMS had signed a contract with Javits, hopefully it’s over and they can look elsewhere.

How about a renovated Asbury Park convention hall. :)

Even with all the hassle with moving stuff in and out of the building and all the extra expense it is New York and the Big Apple. Many of the people wandering around are obviously not 'motorcycle' people, just folks looking for something to do and the twenty bucks for a ticket means nothing to them. They wouldn't travel to Jersey. They tried to move in the past, although it was out of the NYC area, and the attendance suffered.
In the past many manufactures have used the New York show to introduce new models, usually getting a few seconds free coverage on the six o'clock news. It's a great showcase.

North Jersey would be interesting if they could find a venue, but I wonder if the NYC people would go.

Interesting side note: The Harley group I occasionally ride with (they have a lunch ride every week), has well over 500 people on their Facebook list and not one mention of the NYC show. I asked a few if they wanted to go to the show a few years ago and one answered 'Everything I need to know about motorcycles I can find in the Harley Dealer'. Point being, some people have a very narrow view (all marques) of what motorcycling is and the IMS type show just has a bunch of stuff their not interested in.

Naturally IMHO
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
mogu83

Postby bevans » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 pm

Atlantic city would be nice, bet they could get in cheap lol.
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -RWE :map1

Current Bikes: Too Many BMW's, and one Austrian Usurper :rider

Sold Bikes: Too Many
bevans

Postby Bukwas » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:07 am

Unless you really need to touch and feel a product that you're actually interested in, from my perspective based upon the cost and hassle to get to the NY IMS show, it's just a waste of my time. As was mentioned, the small vendors aren't there anymore. Plus, with the Internet, bloggers, vloggers, vendor websites, manufacturer websites, video, forums, chat, phone, and the ability to email questions to sales and engineering, etc, why do I even need to go to an event like this? I actually get better information, more details, and specifications from an online source. And I don't need to deal with a salesperson that more than likely hates his job.
2011 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTF
2014 Aspen Sentry
2001 Bushtec Turbo-II
Bukwas

Postby Tequila Jim » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 am

Although I agree the show gets smaller and has less interesting vendors each year I still enjoy going. I like looking at the high end Italian bikes as well as the one-off customs especially now that the stupid chopper craze has died. I used to go the the Long Beach Show every year and it is quite a bit larger and more interesting with more emphasis on sport and performance oriented machines. I purchased everything from jackets and helmets to heated grips at these shows but lately there just aren't any vendors. I hardly got any stickers this year. That was my biggest disappointment.

Jim A
Attachments
P1030916.JPG
P1030915.JPG
P1030900.JPG
P1030895.JPG
P1030897.JPG
Jim A
I go way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
Now: 09 DR-z400S, 16 BMW S1000XR
Before: 70 CB450 chopper, 82 KZ-550, 73 Guzzi V7 Sport, 79 Sportster, 94 CB1000, 82 GPz-1100, 01 and 03 Triumph Sprint ST
:twisty1
Tequila Jim

Previous

Return to Epic Rides