Meadowsland Mile 2019

Share Your Ride Stories Here
mogu83

Meadowsland Mile 2019

Post by mogu83 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Meadowlands Mile
The 2019 Meadowlands Mile was held at the Meadowlands Racetrack as it was the year before.  Normally inhabited by large four-footed animals with small humans on their backs this Sunday the track saw steel horses, most again with smaller people on them.    If your six foot three and two hundred plus pounds a future in professional Flat Track racing likely isn’t in your future.
  I’ve been to TT/short track/half mile Flat Track races over the years but have somehow missed The Mile.  When I heard it was going to be virtually in our back yard, I couldn’t wait.  Meadowlands racetrack has been in operation for a while and Information and tickets were available on-line making seat selection and paying for the tickets very easy.
  The schedule was on line with the gates opening 11AM and the main race going off at 09:30PM so my plan was to get there around 3PM when the elimination heats (races) begin.  I’m no expert in Flat Track racing having a marginal interest only because they race motorcycles, but here’s how it works.   First, they have qualifying events where the bikes are timed. This is to establish their starting position in the Heat races.   In Flat track with a large number of entries they shorten the field by short Heat races (usually 5 laps) where only a selected number of the first bikes over the finish line transfer (get to run in) to the main event.  Usually all the big guys make the cut but it is motorcycle racing and stuff happens, this time no surprises all the big guys would run in the main.   This is repeated for all classes that are running the event, that was four in this event.  With bikes down (stoppages) and prepping the track between races this can be a long drawn out affair.  Hence my decision to get there after the qualifying races.
   Getting there was no problem, light traffic on the Parkway and the Turnpike then the Meadowlands complex.   Few signs on how to get to the racetrack area so I followed the flow of traffic as it weaved through the endless parking lots all the time wondering how I would find my way out.  I used ‘will call’ to get my tickets and was surprised to find no line at the window when I picked up my tickets.  They have security checking you in, no weapons (pocket knife with 2” blade is a weapon) but they allow back packs.  Walking to my seat I walked past numerous food stands and t-shirt places a hard rock band, playing so loud I’m sure I suffered damage to my already injured hearing and lots of people.

Finding my seat in section 103 (right by the start finish line) row six I look across to see a few billboards and a giant TV on the infield side of the front straight  that would show endless commercials, over and over, between races and multiple camera shots of the races while in progress.  Bad news is I could just barely see the back straight over the top of the sign.   So, NOTE # 1; If you go, get seats in the grandstand in row seven (7) or higher or you stand to miss racing on the back straight, which is what makes The Mile special.   Another thing is the grandstands face West and I didn’t bring a hat, I was looking into the sun until the sun went down, don’t make that mistake.  It didn’t take long to notice all the heavy construction equipment in turn one, road spreaders, front end loaders, trucks dragging screens around and people. Seems the riders didn’t like the track surface and this would be an issue for the rest of the evening.  I also found the event was now two hours behind schedule.

They skipped some qualifying and went to the Heat races and in between each race out came the equipment into turn one.  Although it was agonizing sitting and listening to the same commercials over and over on the giant TV that was in my face, I have to say that the racing was exciting and a great display of skill as the riders circled the track in a little over thirty (30) seconds, well into the 120 MPH area on the straights and sliding the machines into the corners throwing up clouds of whatever it was they were racing on.    The big difference in the Mile is that there is time/distance for racing on the straights and the 25 lap main events give a rider time to make a mistake and still move to the front.  I won’t get into the individual races because if you don’t follow Flat Track the names and numbers would be meaningless.  Suffice it to say that when the bikes were on the track the racing was fast and exciting.

THE PROBLEM.    Seems like the surface of the track isn’t dirt, it’s some kind of ground up stuff ???    The young lady next to me had a husband racing and told me the track surface, unlike dirt, stuck to the rider’s visors and it was almost impossible to wipe off (almost like Styrofoam sticks to stuff), she said the turns weren’t stable and it was hard to ride fast in “this shit” (her words).     The track surface resulted in the main event with the big twins (the race I came to see) being cut from 25 laps to a shortened 8 laps.  This negated all the cool stuff about mile flat track that I was looking forward to watching.  It was almost 11PM when I found my car and begin the search to get out to route 3.

Will I go again and would I recommend going – likely Yes.   But I will be watching to see if they do something about the track surface, every thing is done well but the long excruciating delay between races is a deal breaker.
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello

Leszman

Re: Meadowsland Mile 2019

Post by Leszman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:36 pm

Thanks Harry, I was wondering how it was going to be,being the inaugural races at Meadowlands. Last time Molly and I checked out the Mile races was when Colonial Downs in Virginia was on the circuit. We would ride down 95 and 64 to the track enjoy the races and come home via the Bay Bridge Tunnel, staying overnight in Cape Charles, VA. and toodle home on US13 the following day. The mile straights are wild giving the riders uber speed into the first turns off the straights. Back then there was a young woman riding Triumphs that was kicking the boys butts pretty good. That may be why I'm partially hard of hearing in my left ear these days, from my wife screaming encouragement to her, and cheering her wins. Les.

mogu83

Post by mogu83 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Still is a girl running in the premier race (big twins), Shayna Texter. She took a nasty trip over her handlebars in turn two but got up, dusted off her bike and went back out there. Her brother won the championship in Pro Twins by one point. While in the lead his bike lost fire on the second to last lap and he basically walked it across the finish line thinking he had lost the points lead. Then someone told him he won by one point. I guess it pays never to give up.
Unfortunately a rider was hurt seriously in that turn two scuffle and is still in the hospital. In retrospect the track surface between turn one and two must have been pretty rough the way the bikes were bouncing around and likely is the reason why they shortened the main event.
The Meadowlands Mile will be on NBCSN with flag-to-flag coverage of the Main Events, the broadcast will be on Saturday, October 12, at 10:30 p.m. ET and will re-air on Wednesday, October 16, at 1:00 p.m. ET.

BTW: Indian came in first,second and third in the championship points standing for 2019. :wings
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello

ScrubyPine

Post by ScrubyPine » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:50 pm

I attended the inaugural Meadowlands Mile last year,and in spite of mist,& off and on rain,the program ran like clockwork,including a AFT twins 25 lap main event.This year,the 1st heat race was 3 1/2 hours late with long long long delays between each race.I was at the facility for 7 1/2 hours to see a total of 32 minutes of racing..A bit disappointing.
2008 Triumph Sprint 1050
    2003 DRZ400S
      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
        2016 Yamaha WR450f