Aerostich

Love it or hate it! Let us know.
06wrx

Re: Aerostich

Post by 06wrx » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Most people seem to like them, I personally don't like mine. Been thinking of selling it.
After having a few different non-aerostich jackets and pants, I guess I've got to liking some things that the aerostich is missing. I got the R3 one piece.
It is nice being able to be a "coverall" but can be a bit of a pain if you're at a place where you'd only like to take your jacket off, and not an entire suit while balancing on one leg holding yourself up with a chair. I think my two piece Alpinestars gear is much much more comfortable to wear all day.

The cuffs are horrid- when you zipper it up, there is a fold that is against your arm, and it's the condura material, not something that feels too good, and kind of rubs on my watch- I tend to take that off when riding with the suit on now.

During the summer, I don't wear it as the venting is almost comical. The arm pit area opens up, and there is a horizontal zipper in the back that is covered by a "rain fly" so you don't get much venting through that. Both of those "vents" open you up directly to the outside, no mesh or anything.

They have some armor, knees, elbows, and shoulders. I added a back protector, which further decreases the back venting. They also sell extra hip padding if you wish. All of that armor came standard in my Alpinestars gear. The armor in the aerostich feels big and bulky, where other gear I own is more form fitting, and just as protective.

You also look like a power ranger/astronaut and people have a tendency to "look" at you.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably sink my money into a Klim 2 piece.
Dan Devlin
2017 F800GSA
2012 Yamaha FZ8
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S

SnoDrtRider

Post by SnoDrtRider » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:00 pm

06wrx wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:12 pm
Most people seem to like them, I personally don't like mine. Been thinking of selling it.
After having a few different non-aerostich jackets and pants, I guess I've got to liking some things that the aerostich is missing. I got the R3 one piece.
It is nice being able to be a "coverall" but can be a bit of a pain if you're at a place where you'd only like to take your jacket off, and not an entire suit while balancing on one leg holding yourself up with a chair. I think my two piece Alpinestars gear is much much more comfortable to wear all day.

The cuffs are horrid- when you zipper it up, there is a fold that is against your arm, and it's the condura material, not something that feels too good, and kind of rubs on my watch- I tend to take that off when riding with the suit on now.

During the summer, I don't wear it as the venting is almost comical. The arm pit area opens up, and there is a horizontal zipper in the back that is covered by a "rain fly" so you don't get much venting through that. Both of those "vents" open you up directly to the outside, no mesh or anything.

They have some armor, knees, elbows, and shoulders. I added a back protector, which further decreases the back venting. They also sell extra hip padding if you wish. All of that armor came standard in my Alpinestars gear. The armor in the aerostich feels big and bulky, where other gear I own is more form fitting, and just as protective.

You also look like a power ranger/astronaut and people have a tendency to "look" at you.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably sink my money into a Klim 2 piece.
I went to the 'Stitch pop up in Cherry Hill (actually Collingswood) a few years ago and tried on almost everything they had...

First impression is it looks like something Chairman Mao designed and made his people wear. The Goretex liner is seam sealed and visible/exposed on the inside and subject to wear (My opinion) I have had garments with exposed Goretex liners before and the tape used to seal the seams began to peel off due to being exposed and being rubbed by being taken on and off.
Venting looked OK b as mentioned nothing to keep the garment from peeling wide open in a slide when the vents are open.
So called "Arnor" is little more than a piece of foam wrapped in fabric that is velcro friendly to keep it attached in the place you decide it belongs.

Lynn and I both love our Klim two piece suits. Hours in the rain without any leaks and vents that actually work and have mesh to keep the fabric together in a slide. Armor is D3O that is form fitted and very comfortable... even the back protector has ribs to allow air circulation between your back and the protector.
Less than $1,000 each set and can be found for less if you don't mind last years or "Non-Current" styles which should not be a problem with anyone looking a 'Stitch since their styling is circa 1940s China. I think I have less than $600 invested between my Jacket and Pants because I am a cheap bastage and waited for deals.
Wayne
2019 F850GS
2019 F750GS (Lynn's)
1984 Harley Davidson FXRS
1986 Montesa Cota 304
1980 Husqvarna 390 WR
1981 Suzuki GS850G
Previous:
2013 F800GS
1974 Yamaha TY250
1980 Montesa Cota 200
2003 Zook DRZ400
1980 Zook GS850G (Japanese BMW)
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
Honda SL70
Minibike

pinkflamingo

Post by pinkflamingo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:59 am

Awesome detailed info everyone, both for and against! This club rocks. I've got a lot to think about. Thanks to all :D
Karen R

mogu83

Post by mogu83 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:55 am

This may or may not be an issue but a lady that I ride with wears Klim stuff and the reason is they have a extensive line of clothing cut especially for women. A long time rider she's been stuffing herself into mens clothing for years and now can get stuff that actually fits her.
Not sure how Aerostich addresses the problem now but, according to her, they haven't been too sympathetic in the past.
:type
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello

SnoDrtRider

Post by SnoDrtRider » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:03 pm

mogu83 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:55 am
This may or may not be an issue but a lady that I ride with wears Klim stuff and the reason is they have a extensive line of clothing cut especially for women. A long time rider she's been stuffing herself into mens clothing for years and now can get stuff that actually fits her.
Not sure how Aerostich addresses the problem now but, according to her, they haven't been too sympathetic in the past.
:type

^^^^ This!
Karen talk to Lynn regarding fit, etc. We will be at LCR on Saturday.
Wayne
2019 F850GS
2019 F750GS (Lynn's)
1984 Harley Davidson FXRS
1986 Montesa Cota 304
1980 Husqvarna 390 WR
1981 Suzuki GS850G
Previous:
2013 F800GS
1974 Yamaha TY250
1980 Montesa Cota 200
2003 Zook DRZ400
1980 Zook GS850G (Japanese BMW)
1975 Honda MT250 Elsinore
Honda SL70
Minibike

herb_dyer

Post by herb_dyer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:23 am

Not to hijack the thread, but I picked up a new Klim jacket in Lebanon, and it's the first jacket that fit me perfectly, as it's a 100% stretch jacket. Thing wears like a spiderman suit. Up till then, no Klim jacket would fit me in the shoulders.

https://www.klim.com/Marrakesh-Jacket-3341-001
One never sees a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

need2boat

Post by need2boat » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:11 am

Kline now makes the Hardanger suit. has anyone tired one on.

Joe

pinkflamingo

Post by pinkflamingo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am

Just watched the RevZilla video in the Klim Hardinger and read some reviews. Very interesting. Will enjoy talking about gear at the Last Chance Rally!
Karen R

need2boat

Post by need2boat » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:51 am

I like Kline gear but I'm not sure it's a 1:1 comparison.

Kline to me is more like Patagonia or the BMW gear. The fabrics and manufacturing of the the clothing is higher tech. That comes at a price in day to day wear and tear. The Aerostich stuff uses heaver fabrics with larger YKK zipper. It wears like Iron and you sacrifice in the fit.

In my case when you break a zipper on the Aerostich all you need to do is remove the zipper stop and slide on a new zipper, because they use continuous zipper tape, like a sleeping bag. With water proof or some coil zippers that are bonded like Kline or BMW it can't be done. You most likely need to sew in a new zipper.

So it's a give and take for sure. I'm lucky enough to own a BMW 2 piece I bought used and Aerostich. Hands down for going to work M-F I take the Aerostich. If were going to ride the tweisties or a weekend campout. I'd most likely take the the BMW.

06wrx

Post by 06wrx » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm actually going to sell my Aerostich R3. Gently used only a couple of times(once in the rain). It's a 46R. Grey, high-vis green on shoulders and arms. Legs are all grey(had them do that as I knew the legs, if high-vis- would eventually get dirty). Has the back armor installed. American Flag on the left shoulder(sewn on by Aerostich). Manufactured date 8/30/17. PM me if interested.
Dan Devlin
2017 F800GSA
2012 Yamaha FZ8
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S