Waterproof Gloves

Discussions about BMW Motorcycles

Waterproof Gloves

Postby mogu83 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:41 pm

Any ideas or experience on waterproof gloves.  So far the best answer I've found is the 'lobster hands' by Aerostich., they look stupid and are a pain in the butt to put on (correctly) but they do keep your hands dry in an all day ride in the rain.

Most gloves that are listed as 'waterproof' look like something the storm troopers in Star Wars would wear.  Well oiled leather gloves will do for a short time (have those) but I'm looking for something that will work for the whole day.

AEROSTICH    Lobster Hands
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello
mogu83

Re: Waterproof Gloves

Postby w2ge » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:21 pm

Harry,

I bought a pair at the pop up event in Cherry Hill a bit ago... you mentioned putting them on correctly.. what fingers go where? I haven’t used them yet. My bikes are gathering dust. :oops:
Phil Levin, current “Da’ Prez”
2010 R1200RT
2016 Aprilia Caponord RALLY
iPhone7+>ZUMO 396 >SENA 10C (BT/VIDEO CAM)
w2ge

Postby mogu83 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:20 pm

The thumb and pinkie go in the thumb, the middle finger goes in the middle finger and the remaining fingers go in the empty finger. It's intuitive. :scratch :scratch

ACTUALLY
Just stick your hand in and everything goes in it's proper place. The tough part is the gauntlet has to be under the rain gear. You have to put the gloves on then your rain gear (or whatever jacket) so the cuffs are over the gauntlet of the glove. WORKS GREAT.
Problems start when you try to zip up your rain gear or do the chin strap on your helmet. Big problem is you can't feel anything.

The first time I used them I just put them on and cinched down the draw strings and pulled out into a driving rain. Every thing was fine for about a half hour then they started filling with water. The waterproofing worked fine and soon I had gloves half full of what I was trying to keep out.

Having only two fingers and a thumb presents no problems at all when operating the controls and whatever else you run into riding the bike down the road. Anything more than that is a problem. I've put on a bunch of miles with them on, and they work.

In retrospect I would have bought the ones with the short gauntlet, maybe you would be able to stuff the gauntlet under the jacket cuff with it on. Maybe.

I strongly recommend practicing putting your rain gear on, with the gloves on, in the garage in front of a mirror it will save a lot of anguish the next time you do it in a torrential downpour under an underpass.

Naturally IMHO :wiser
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello
mogu83

Postby 06wrx » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:04 pm

Unless it's the middle of the summer(think Hamburg MOA rally), I wear a pair of Gore-Tex Alpine Stars gauntlet length gloves(that gets the water up over my Aerostich). My hands have always stayed dry in them.
Dan Devlin
2017 F800GSA
2012 Yamaha FZ8
2001 Suzuki DRZ400S
06wrx

Return to General Chat