Ride to 2019 MOA Rally

Tarmac

Moderator: TomW

Ride to 2019 MOA Rally

Postby Ron_Ces » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm

The 2019 MOA Rally is being held in Lebanon, TN. Me, Jim and Wayne are planning to head out on Sunday, June 9th. We ride to Front Royal, VA and stay at a local hotel. We get up early on Monday morning and attack the Sky Line Drive when no one is on it. :wings
We can finish the SLD in a bit over 2 hours maintaining a very spirited pace. :hive
We gas up and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway. Again, early and mid-week, we literally have the road to ourselves. By now, Wayne is feeling his oats, dragging his hard parts and trying to forget Shirley's lecture about aggressive riding. :pot
Monday night has us at Willville MC Campground.
We wake up and hit the parkway. Tuesday night's stop is at Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground.
Wednesday we hit the dragon and stay at the Dragon resort.
Thursday has us ride to the MOA Rally grounds.
If you like to ride great roads, this trip has them.
How you get home is up to you. I have not planned that far yet. The best part of this trip is that every night offers cabins or camping at our stop. No need to find alternate accommodations.
Willville has camping, bunkhouses or a cabin, Blue Ridge has camping and cabins, Deals Gap has camping or hotel rooms.
As always, we ride by the Augustine contingency code. If you fuck up, blow up or bin it, we will stay with you until you are safe or stabilized, then continue on our way. Give no quarter, ask no quarter. :deal
Cheers.
Ron
Aging Hacker :: Warranty Voider
I need to do more :rider and less :type

BMW R1150GS ADV
BMW R1150RT
Honda Pacific Coast (Nerd-Mobile)
Gone, but not forgotten-Suzuki TS-100, Suzuki RM125 (2), Yamaha Virago, Honda V45 Sabre (2), Yamaha Vision, BMW R1100RSL, Yamaha XT-600, KTM 300EX, Kymco Scooter
Ron_Ces

Re: Ride to 2019 MOA Rally

Postby Tequila Jim » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:00 pm

Don't forget the "buy a new tire at Wheeler's" contingency. 3 years running on that one. BRP and Dragon eats my tires every time! :bang
Jim A
I go way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
Now: 09 DR-z400S, 16 BMW S1000XR
Before: 70 CB450 chopper, 82 KZ-550, 73 Guzzi V7 Sport, 79 Sportster, 94 CB1000, 82 GPz-1100, 01 and 03 Triumph Sprint ST
:twisty1
Tequila Jim

Postby mogu83 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:42 pm

Believe it or not the BRP is now worse in the tire wear area. Late last summer they put down tar and chip and then covered it with a kind of driveway sealer, on a few sections. To make it just a little more adventurous they didn't fill in the holes they just dumped the sealer on them - result now you can't see them until their ten feet in front of your front tire. It's like riding on 50 grit black sandpaper.
I'll be coming back that way, after the rally (Willville) and I'm looking for a nice way around it to the East.
I can't imagine what it would be like going down on that stuff.

Just sayin :type
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello
mogu83

Postby Pickings » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Looks like 800 miles or so from me. So I'll just leave at 6am on friday, and ride at 100mph.
Should meet up with you guys there around 2pm, or 230pm if I stop for lunch.
Steve D
03 Yamaha FJR 1300 (current)
01 BMW F650GS (got it back)
77 Yamaha RD 360 (gave away)
84 Honda Interceptor 500 (crashed)
77 Honda CB 350 (gave away)
Pickings

Postby mogu83 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Pickings wrote:Looks like 800 miles or so from me. So I'll just leave at 6am on friday, and ride at 100mph.
Should meet up with you guys there around 2pm, or 230pm if I stop for lunch.

RIGHT - Across Virginia, West Virginia, maybe Kentucky and Tennessee with Jersey plates - good luck with that.
I've been stopped a few times in the South and it usually starts with - "From New Jersey?" I always want to say 'No I just stole this bike from a motel up there'. but usually something like this comes out 'Yea, I'm from Jersey but really wish I could move out and move someplace like this' only got a ticket once. He got me at 95 in a 50, wrote me for 65, figured that was a good deal.
:type
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello
mogu83

Return to Paved Road Rides