Rumble 2015 - 4/25

The annual gathering of the Clans
VinceSant

Re: Rumble 2015

Post by VinceSant » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:41 pm

What a coincidence!!!
We had a very good turnout for the monthly breakfast held this month at the Amish restaurant Bridgeton NJ. After enjoying a good meal, as fate would have it, I meet Doug Travers!
Doug is the president of BMW Motorcycle Club of North Jersey! Doug said he just recently purchased a second house in the area and stopped in at the Amish center to do some shopping, seeing the BMW's parked, he nosed around looking to introduce himself. What a coincidence! Of course after a long conversation about our clubs we invited them for our rumble. So now we have a 4 club rumble!
Vince Santaniello

mogu83

Post by mogu83 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:35 pm

It would be good to see North Jersey BMW involved, especially seeing their status as the oldest BMW club in the state.

Other than that:

...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello

w2ge

Post by w2ge » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:27 pm

WaywardSon wrote:Pat and I will bring potato salad. Will 5 pounds be enough? Can easily do 10 lbs. let me know.
Thanks,
Karl Delaney
Karl, Welcome and 5 lbs will be PLENTY! THANKS!!
Phil Levin, current “Da’ Prez”
2010 R1200RT
2016 Aprilia Caponord RALLY
iPhone7+>ZUMO 396 >SENA 10C (BT/VIDEO CAM)

w2ge

Post by w2ge » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Khaight wrote:Ill bring a pasta salad. Would 3 pounds be enough?
Kevin, nice to see you at Breakfast this morn, sorry I didn't get to talk to you more at the meeting.....

3 lbs will be plenty! Thanks!!!
2010 R1200RT

w2ge

Post by w2ge » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:30 pm

VinceSant wrote:What a coincidence!!!
We had a very good turnout for the monthly breakfast held this month at the Amish restaurant Bridgeton NJ. After enjoying a good meal, as fate would have it, I meet Doug Travers!
Doug is the president of BMW Motorcycle Club of North Jersey! Doug said he just recently purchased a second house in the area and stopped in at the Amish center to do some shopping, seeing the BMW's parked, he nosed around looking to introduce himself. What a coincidence! Of course after a long conversation about our clubs we invited them for our rumble. So now we have a 4 club rumble!
That was crazy!!! I couldn't believe it, especially with how this had just come up... Kismet!
2010 R1200RT

deilenberger

Post by deilenberger » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Vince,

Glad to see that happened. I'm surprised we haven't heard from Doug Evans.. or Nancy G.. he/she (was?/are?) friends with some of the North Jersey club members, as was I for a number of years. Gene and Julia Shirley (Julia was their newsletter editor for eons) were originally members of that club, and I used to attend their Snappin'Turtle rally - held at - Cedar Rapids (go figure..) It was very much a :drink :cheers :guz rally, NTTAWWT. I stopped attending when I stopped camping at rallies.

The NJ Shore club reached out to them a number of times through the years, and we had brief spurts of cross-club communications, but not a lot more than that ever happened. One of their Presidents (Bird, who had no other name) and I worked together to try to get things going but it just never seemed to happen. New Sweden members used to attend their rally, and North Jersey used to attend Last Chance, but I think the last time I saw one of their members at LC was at least 5-6 years ago (or more.)

Hopefully there is a new group in the club who are more open to other clubs - in the past they were a bit insular. There is sort of an off-shoot of their club which some people may have heard tales of.. The Dead Horse MC, which somehow I was inducted into (as a result of getting plastered at a Snapping Turtle rally - those were the days..) Whatever you've heard about Dead Horse is likely true - as unbelievable as the stories might sound.

Looking forward to seeing them again! It's been a long time.

Don
Don Eilenberger, NJS BMW Riders Trustee; NJ Ride for the Cure, Chair - http://njrideforthecure.org
MOA Ambassador (don't ask me.. I dunno.)
RA Director for NJ (hey - those RA jobs are begging for people..)
Official New Sweden Curmudgeon (appointed by Nancy G..)
Sometimes rider and general bon-vivant

deilenberger

Post by deilenberger » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:03 pm

I noticed that there hasn't been much posted (anything?) about the history of the 3-Club Rumble and how it came about (and grew to the event we know today..)

It has to be more than 10 years ago.. Dennis Swanson was NJ Shore club President, and Max Monaco was Skylands President. They were also friends and went on a trip to Europe, a cross-USA trip and a number of other longer rides together. Max could be a bit ummm... abrasive at times. He made me look like a quiet kindly sort. Dennis can be a little sarcastic at times. It seemed a match made in heaven.. they really got along well, and really loved to fun-argue with each other.

Somehow the toughness/size/whatever of the two clubs came up in one of their debates, and Dennis basically said "Oh yeah? Let's see about that.." and the challenge was put down to see which club could get the most riders to travel to some out of the way spot in NJ. That was basically it. For a number of years the clubs alternated picking the spot, and we simply arrived, did a head count, stood around BS'ing and continued on our ride. A few times it was held at an eatery (usually along the Delaware which was considered neutral territory.)

It usually happened in the fall, for no particular reason, but it made a nice counterpoint to us getting together at the Gathering of the Nortons in the spring.

Eventually - when Don Gordon was President of Skylands - they surprised us with food of sorts (coffee and donuts IIRC) one fall when they were hosting. That started a new tradition - who had the best food. It was held at Sky Manor - where Don kept one of his planes - held in his hanger and another year at a factory Don owns, and another year at Crown Engineering when Skip Palmer was President of NJS, then Sandy Hook a number of times.

About then I think I suggested we get New Sweden involved. This was.. mebbe 4-5 years ago? I could look it up. And things have escalated from there. NJ Shore one year at Sandy Hook outdid ourselves and had great food, last time not so much. New Sweden has hosted.. once before I think? And NS knocked it out of the box. The North Jersey club was invited - by me - some years ago when NJS was hosting, but didn't show up. It will be great if we can get their participation, and with the food NS is planning, if any of them attend I think many will attend next year.

So that's the crib notes on "The Rumble" - it started because of a friendship. Sadly Max Monaco passed away I think just about when New Sweden joined in, and even at that Rumble he wasn't in the best of shape so you didn't get the full Max experience. Great guy, even if he did piss a lot of people off at times. He had a real enthusiasm for the clubs and for riding.
Don Eilenberger, NJS BMW Riders Trustee; NJ Ride for the Cure, Chair - http://njrideforthecure.org
MOA Ambassador (don't ask me.. I dunno.)
RA Director for NJ (hey - those RA jobs are begging for people..)
Official New Sweden Curmudgeon (appointed by Nancy G..)
Sometimes rider and general bon-vivant

Bobs98

Post by Bobs98 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Put me down for the chicken salad.
Bob Smith
1998 R1200C
2005 Rocket III
2000 R1200C

zoomtoob

Post by zoomtoob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:34 am

Thanks, Don. Great history and good to know.

Zoom
Johnny Moorhouse - AKA Zoom
2004 R1150 GS(Z) - Beast
1988 KLR 650 - Burnie (Project)
2000 Kawasaki KXF 250 Quad (Project)
1999 RS 1100 - should never have sold this - Beauty
1980 Yamaha XS400 - first bike. Thank you!

w2ge

Post by w2ge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:38 am

Alright.. Here's where we stand with food: (CLUB SUPPLIES HOT DOGS/HAMBURGERS/ROLLS/SODAS)

Pete Lisko PULLED PORK (yum)

John M. Black Bean/Corn/Pepper/Balsamic Salsa with Chips

Ron C. Mart Pretzels with various hot mustards

Pete Stone 6 Dozen Chocolate Cookies

Vince S. Desert Pies, etc..

Nancy G. DEVILED EGGS

Judy and Tom Harris Chopped Antipasta Salad

Karen Rehrig Tossed Salad and 3 bags of chips

Phil Levin Individual Chicken Shish-kebob skewers

Pete Papay Macaroni Salad and Coleslaw

Herb Dyer Cheese Cake

Bob Smith Chicken Salad

Karl Delaney Potato Salad

Kevin Haight Pasta Salad

Herb Konrad Veggie Tray and Dip

Gary Elkind Hummus and crackers

Frank VanHerwaarden Carrot Cake

WHAT ELSE!??? So far, looking good!!!

Anyone want to bring BAKED BEANS? TUNA SALAD?
2010 R1200RT