On Episodic Transcendence

A deeper, more cerebral take on riding...

Moderator: 1MLZ2

On Episodic Transcendence

Postby mogu83 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:10 am

Recently I came across this:
"Motorcycles are a social good, and they create episodic transcendence in people that makes better people."

-Andy Goldfine during an interview with the New York Times on the integrity of Aerostich garments

Some times I read things like this and feel like I'm missing something.

'Four wheels move the body two wheels move the soul' and the infamous 'Live to Ride, Ride to live' and numerous other witty sayings likely thought up by someone that never threw a leg over a bike till they were middle age, and then only in response to a mid-life psychological crisis.
What a vast difference from what I remember about the attitude of most riders back in the 60's. As I remember it was about the power, the acceleration, the feeling of speed and I don't care about your laws, I don't care what you think, and if I want to take controlled substances or get half drunk to enjoy my ride - so what. I don't remember anyone talking about 'social good' or anything transcendental.
Just sayin,

...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
mogu83

Re: On Episodic Transcendence

Postby w2ge » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am

Har,

Yes, when we were young different 'terms' were used.. a different description about what motorcycles meant. Of course, Motorcycle riding obviously means different things to different people.

Don't you think he's using just a philosophical term to describe what many say about riding? People talk about this all the time, For example: "Ride to get your head straight", "Riding takes me to a different space in my head"... yada, yada, yada.

FWIW, That's my take.. (or my 2 cents..)

I guess Andy Goldfine is a cerebral kinda guy (thinker), but I've never met him.
Phil Levin, current “Da’ Prez”
2010 R1200RT
2016 Aprilia Caponord RALLY
iPhone7+>ZUMO 396 >SENA 10C (BT/VIDEO CAM)
w2ge

Postby Bukwas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:01 am

mogu83 wrote:I don't remember anyone talking about 'social good' or anything transcendental.
Just sayin,

For as long as I can remember, bikers have always been actively supporting various charities. Even HD corporate has been supporting the Muscular Dystrophy Association since at least the early 1980's.
2011 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI
1993 Harley Davidson FLSTF
2014 Aspen Sentry
2001 Bushtec Turbo-II
Bukwas

Postby mogu83 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:57 pm

Bukwas wrote:
mogu83 wrote:I don't remember anyone talking about 'social good' or anything transcendental.
Just sayin,

For as long as I can remember, bikers have always been actively supporting various charities. Even HD corporate has been supporting the Muscular Dystrophy Association since at least the early 1980's.

1980?? -By 1980 it was all over. After 'You meet the nicest people on a Honda' and the 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' revolution things changed. Hardly the motorcycle culture I grew up in, and alluded to.
:wiser

Honda CB125S
mogu83

Postby herb_dyer » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:01 am

Once the culture installed the idea that we collectively have to pay for mishaps of freedom encountered by others, these ideas of true individuality are no longer viable.

All in the name of "good intentions".... and "fairness and equality"

When did this happen? Sadly, on our generation's watch.

"We have met the enemy, and it is us"
herb_dyer

Postby mogu83 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 pm

That's a hard truth to swallow ----- but true

Honda CB125S
mogu83

Return to Ramblings