2019 MOA National Rally 06/13-15/2019

Relive the magic...

Moderator: mogu83

Ron_Ces

Re: 2019 MOA National Rally 06/13-15/2019

Post by Ron_Ces » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:29 pm

zoomtoob wrote:Yeah. Same here. No MOA anymore...

Let me know if anyone (Bueller? Anyone...?) wants a rally buddy.

I'll float the 99 and you can PayPal me whenever.

Ron has first dibs of course.

Johnny M
R1150 GS-Z
John, I got mine. You are up. Mike M. is looking to pair up.
Ron
Aging Hacker :: Warranty Voider
I need to do more :rider and less :type

BMW R1150GS ADV
BMW R1150RT
Honda Pacific Coast (Nerd-Mobile)
Gone, but not forgotten-Suzuki TS-100, Suzuki RM125 (2), Yamaha Virago, Honda V45 Sabre (2), Yamaha Vision, BMW R1100RSL, Yamaha XT-600, KTM 300EX, Kymco Scooter

zoomtoob

Post by zoomtoob » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:30 pm

I got paired up with my best girl, Pixie!! Thanks!!
Johnny Moorhouse - AKA Zoom
2004 R1150 GS(Z) - Beast
1988 KLR 650 - Burnie (Project)
2000 Kawasaki KXF 250 Quad (Project)
1999 RS 1100 - should never have sold this - Beauty
1980 Yamaha XS400 - first bike. Thank you!

mogu83

Post by mogu83 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 am

The volunteer slots for registration are rapidly filling up, many time slots are full. Friday 12PM - 4PM only has a few spots left.
Usually being on the volunteer list gets you in a day early. Registration has always been my favorite, you're the first BMWMOA person the people see and you get to make the rally experience more enjoyable for a lot of people.
Having a bunch of people working with you that you know makes it even better.
Thanks to Roger the registration process has been really really streamlined and requires minimal effort to complete.
Just sayin :type
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello

w2ge

Post by w2ge » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:57 pm

From ROGER TRENDOWSKI:

Over the past month I proposed to the NJ clubs that we all volunteer at the Registration function during at the BMW MOA National Rally in Lebanon TN. We have done it in the past and had great fun representing New Jersey....in Johnson City TN rally, Hamburg NY rally and others.The registration job is critical to the national rally. We are the first to meet folks as they arrive at the fair grounds and set the stage for the 3-4 day event. Jobs are pretty easy: Greeter, rally & program reviewer, cash register (ipad based), document stuffer, etc. You will meet many new and old friends in the short 4 hour session. To work together we need volunteer on the same day and shift, everyone must go to the registration volunteer website and select the target shift. Volunteer just for yourself. You wilt then receive an email receipt (volunteer receipt confirming your selection.).

TO VOLUNTEER, GO TO:

MOAregistrationVOLUNTEER.eventbrite.com

SELECT SHIFT

FRIDAY, 12N - 4PM shift (on June 14)

There is probably room for 30 volunteers. If it is full (sold out), then contact me and I will talk to the Chair of Registration.

DO THIS IMMEDIATELY SINCE SHIFTS WILL QUICKLY FILL OUT.

Many volunteers sign up for multiple shifts, so consider this option as well. (I am volunteering for two sessions).

Make sure you also register for attendance to the Rally. There is a 2 for $99 (or 1 for $55) special offered until Feb 15th. This is the least expensive ticket price that will be offered. Go to the Rally website http://rally.bmwmoa.org/ and look under the RALLY TAB.

Thanks and hope to see You-All at the Rally.
Phil Levin, current “Da’ Prez”
2010 R1200RT
2016 Aprilia Caponord RALLY
iPhone7+>ZUMO 396 >SENA 10C (BT/VIDEO CAM)

herb_dyer

Post by herb_dyer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:40 pm

Done. Do it at every MOA rally. Jersey represent!
One never sees a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

need2boat

Post by need2boat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:20 pm

I guess my question for Roger is why members of NJ as whole should volunteer. Anyone who belongs to an organization should help do there part including volunteering but whats the end goal in getting NJ to help. Is he looking to get some help from the the MOA in support for improving laws in the state of NJ? Maybe get a Rally in the state. It's no shocker I'm not a member of the MOA but that's mostly because I've yet to see the value. I spoke to Harry briefly at the last meeting and left feeling less then inspired.

That said if Roger would like to make a case for the MOA. I'd consider joining. Tell him to come to a meeting and make a case for it. From what I can tell the numbers of members is dropping in the club and my guess on reasoning would tie back to "value".

w2ge

Post by w2ge » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:36 pm

MOA will not put a rally in our state.. they have these regional events that actually often step on MOA member club rallies. Ridiculous.

And they’re not involved in state legislation as far as I’ve ever heard. AMA is more for that. Look, it’s a fraternal organization. They do have benefits fir member clubs. Magazine.. raffles, etc. It is what you want to make of just about any club.
Phil Levin, current “Da’ Prez”
2010 R1200RT
2016 Aprilia Caponord RALLY
iPhone7+>ZUMO 396 >SENA 10C (BT/VIDEO CAM)

mogu83

Post by mogu83 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:04 pm

need2boat wrote:I guess my question for Roger is why members of NJ as whole should volunteer. Anyone who belongs to an organization should help do there part including volunteering but whats the end goal in getting NJ to help. Is he looking to get some help from the the MOA in support for improving laws in the state of NJ? Maybe get a Rally in the state. It's no shocker I'm not a member of the MOA but that's mostly because I've yet to see the value. I spoke to Harry briefly at the last meeting and left feeling less then inspired.

That said if Roger would like to make a case for the MOA. I'd consider joining. Tell him to come to a meeting and make a case for it. From what I can tell the numbers of members is dropping in the club and my guess on reasoning would tie back to "value".
Venue:
I'll repeat the answer a member of the executive board gave to me, concerning rally location, at a rally years ago. " you know - you're right. How about you chair the rally site committee the next few years and work that out" I disengaged from the conversation. Aside from an interesting motorcycle area with decent motorcycle roads in the area, you need a large area (do we have a State fairground) and hotel motel rooms for a few thousand people, the 'camping area' has to have hookups for 100+ RVs (30a hook ups) and air conditioned buildings for vendors and meeting rooms. I'm fairly familiar with the State and don't know of a venue that can come even close. Maybe you do, if so bring it up. Face it our State sucks for riding a motorcycle.

AS to the Value:
Dues cost less than an oil change (with a filter). I see it as a way to support the marque and meet people with a common interest in motorcycles and traveling on them. Going to the rallys that I find in the club magazine I've met people from all over the country. Nothing like riding across the Country to the other coast and as your riding into the campground stopping with a half dozen or more people that you bumped into at other rallys, before you find a spot to put your tent. The club magazine IHMO has improved greatly over the last decade and is just as professional as any Motorcycle Magazine. Seeing as the members are involved in numerous aspects of motorcycling there are sure to be some articles that don't interest you. Value for something is different for different reasons. I belong to a local BMW club that has yearly dues less than NSBMW and that includes the Christmas party. How do they do that, I don't know. Does that make it a better value??
The cost of the national is high (compared to a local rally) but I can't think of a local rally that even comes close. Usually the entertainment alone is worth the entrance fee. No food is included but in reality what are you missing, hot dogs and chile on Friday and a meal on Saturday, this year if you used the early pre-registration the National is cheaper than most local rallys.

BMWMOA $49.................12 Monthly Magazines organizes getaways, rallys, discounts
BMWRA $35..................6 Monthly Magazines organizes rallys, discounts
HOG $45.................5 Monthly Magazines discounts, not sure what else
AMA $49................12 Monthly Magazines discounts, entry into racing events, discounts, political activities protect
motorcyclist rights at all levels. Free Membership after 25 years.

Volunteering:
I assume everyone has been to a National Rally, I've been to a few. Too see something involving so many people with so much stuff going on all put on by volunteers is something to see. I think in the last few years maybe five (or less) people involved actually work for the BMWMOA. I think that volunteering for one shift is the minimum a person should do, some people work all year on the rally. By volunteering you sometimes get to meet people from outside your normal circle of acquaintances. Years ago I did registration with a couple from Canada that opened the gate to a whole bunch of new friends (and some interesting rallys) from the great North Country.

BMWMOAs Role:
A far as I know the BMWMOA has never had a political role or taken any action for or against a bill in any State, it's not what they do. I think that's a good thing. Their mission is to advance the marque and provide opportunities for comradery between BMW owners. At a rally you can hear heated arguments about tire brands or oil brands but rarely (never for me) a word about Washington , DC (no good motorcycle roads there) or what happens there, and that's a blessing.
OTOH anyone that rides a motorcycle (no matter what you do with it) should be a member of the AMA. Aside from being the sanctioning organization for most motorcycle racing in the United States the AMA lobbies for motorcycle issues in Washington and has political action groups in most States.

BMWMOA Membership:
Yes the membership is declining, the reason - look around at any motorcycle function. People are ageing out of the sport, the average age at the rallys is now up in the mid 60's. That situation in HOG is the same, but with the Harley owners the sales of their prefered machine is also dropping, maybe their situation is worse. BMW sales are going up and if people want to support the Marque and continue to have events like the BMW Get Aways, National Rallys and the BMWMOA Magazine they should support a club that supports their interests.

As far as 'telling' Roger to come to a meeting, maybe better to ask. He sends that e-mail to the Jersey Clubs as a, heads up, courtesy, as he doesn't have a problem filling the registration slots. Explain what questions you have and I'm sure he'll show up and try to answer them. Roger, and a hard core group like him, are the cement that hold this National Club together, and he's a rider.
...nowadays I have two good wheels
And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
It takes me out there for just a little while
And the years fall away with every mile

Honda CB125S
Harry Costello

mikee717

Post by mikee717 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:46 pm

I understand that MOA is offering two rally tix for $90.00. If so, is anyone interested in sharing with me. Mike Pawelczak.

need2boat

Post by need2boat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Phil does the club pay yearly fee to the MOA or BMW.